Candle Circle of Safety
Courtesy of the
Office of the Massachusetts State Fire Marshal
Brick Township, several fires have occurred in residential homes because
of the misuse of candles.
The power went out in the home and the homeowners used a candle to light
their way through the house. They placed the candle next to the kitchen
(next to the dishcloths and paper towels) and walked into the next room.
The flame, within seconds had ignited the combustibles and the homeowner
and occupants of the home were in danger. Luckily they remembered their
fire safety escape route and did not attempt to extinguish the fire but
instead got out of the home safety and called 911 from a neighbor's house.
Another incident involved a candle light for the fragrance and ambiance.
The homeowner had thought they had blown out the candle and went up to
bed. The flame was not completely extinguished. It ignited the material
next to it. Luckily the smoke alarm sounded and the homeowner was able
to get safely out of the home and called 911.
Another involved a juvenile lighting a candle while in their room. They
placed the candle on their nightstand, then went about talking on the
phone and watching TV. They were called downstairs by their parents. They
rushed out of the room, closed their door but forgot about the candle.
The family left the house to go to the store. The candle burnt down (it
was only on a paper plate) and ignited the nightstand and then the bed.
Because the juvenile closed the door to the room, the fire was contained
to only that room. There was extensive damage to the juvenile's room but
the family was safely out of the home.
How could these incidents have turned out differently?
a flashlight on hand with fresh batteries to use in case there is a loss
of power, not a candle.
candles in a safe area. Remembering the Candle Circle of Safety.
candles when you leave the room.
people escaped serious injury or death because they knew their escape
route, acted quickly and reported the fire as soon as they were away from
you know what to do? Call the Brick Bureau of Fire Safety at 732-458-4100
if you would like someone to go over your family's escape plan with you
or if you have any questions.